Hip replacement is a surgery which consists of replacing the hip joint with a prosthetic implant. It can be of two types: total hip replacement or half (hemi) replacement. Such surgeries are performed to alleviate arthritic pain or treat hip fractures.
Total hip replacement involves replacement of femoral head and acetabulum while hemi replacement involves only the femoral head. Hip replacement surgery is one of the most common types of orthopedic surgeries but outcomes vary widely. Cost of a total hip replacement surgery in india is among the lowest in the world.
Aim of hip replacement surgery is pain relief (because of osteoarthritis )or improving hip function. This surgery is conducted only after weighing other options like medication and physical therapy.
This surgery can be conducted by two modes: traditional mode and minimally invasive technique. The crucial difference between these two modes is the incision size.
The standard procedure of this surgery follows these steps:
- You will be given general anesthesia to put you to temporary sleep and relax your muscles. Or you may be given spinal anesthesia. This is to make you unaware and pain free during surgical procedure.
- A cut will be made in the side of the hip and the muscles in the thigh bone will be moved such that the hip joint is exposed.
- Now, the ball of the joint is removed by sawing the hip joint.
- An artificial joint is adhered to the thigh bone by making use of a special material or cement.
- The surgeon then prepares the hip bone surface by removing any cartilage that is damaged. The replacement socket part is attached to the hip bone.
- The thigh bone’s new ball part is placed inside the socket part.
- To collect any fluid in the operated area, drains may be placed.
- The muscles are re-attached and the incision is closed.
- In minimally invasive technique, incision is 2 to 5 inches long and doctors make 1 to 2 cuts as compared to the standard procedure of a single cut of 8 inches long.
- The modern technique is believed to reduce blood loss, speed up healing and shorten stay in hospital.
- Success of modern method depends on skill and expertise of surgeon.
- Because of blood loss during this surgery, blood transfusion may be required. You can also use your own blood collected some days before surgery.
- Hospital stay of 1 to 6 days may be required.
- Take bed rest with a pillow of wedge shape placed between the legs such that new hip joint stays in place.
- The day after surgery, you may begin with physical therapy.
- You will move about with walking aids like cane or crutch in a few days.
- Physical therapy may be continued for months after surgery.
PRECAUTIONS AFTER SURGERY:
- Twisting or pivoting on the operated leg should be avoided for 6 to12 months after surgery.
- Do not bend hips beyond 90 degrees. This includes squatting.
- Don’t cross the operated leg past the body’s midline.
- If you don’t follow instructions of your doctor and PT, you may dislocate your new hip and require a second surgery.
These are some of the aspects about hip replacement surgery. One attractive factor is the low hip replacement india cost. This makes Indian hospitals attractive for medical tourists seeking this orthopedic surgery.